BabiesChildrenDays OutFirst Aidfirstaidquiz.comGeneralHealth and SafetyHolidayTourism

Travelling in Europe – renew your EHIC (European Health Insurance Card)

If travelling in Europe don’t forget to check the date on your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

The EHIC replaced the old E111 forms and provides entitlement to reduced cost / free emergency medical treatment whilst temporarily visiting a European Union (EU) country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.

It is available for free to most UK nationals (see website for actual details).

The EHIC does not replace the need for travel insurance as it has limitations and wouldn’t cover any repatriation costs etc., but should be taken when travelling in Europe.

If you applied for the new EHIC when it first replaced the E-111 then it has been over 5 years and your EHIC will need to be renewed. Also don’t forget to add any new children that have been born since.

To make renewing easier you may also want to add all your dependants on the renewal even if their card is not due to expire. We included our two year old son despite having 3 years left on his card as otherwise his would expire before ours.

To apply fill in the form from the following link and then cards are sent through the post. You should apply a few weeks before you are due to travel to make sure that it arrives in time.

European Health Insurance Card

Travelling in Europe

See the following European holiday reviews: