As a STEM Ambassador I am actively involved in teaching computing, electronics and physical computing. Helping schools, Scouts and community groups to understand more about STEM careers. I do this through providing support to pupils, teachers and at community events such as Raspberry Jams.
This video shows a recent STEM activity I’ve been using at local school career fairs.
This is a selection of some of my projects which promote STEM subjects.
Books on Linux, Open Source and Electronics
These are some of the books I’ve been involved with.
Some are books I’ve written and for others I was the technical reviewer.
Includes some free books as well as some that are published and available to buy as eBook or printed books.
- Books on Linux, Electronics and Raspberry Pi
- Beginning Game Programming with Pygame Zero
- Learn Electronics with Raspberry Pi (2nd edition)
Robots and Robotics
Various projects based around robots and robotics. This includes the STS-Pi robot and my original Ruby Robot based around the Magician Chassis.
- Robots and Robotics projects
- 3D printed Mecanum Omnidirectional Raspberry Pi Robot
- STS Pi Raspberry Pi Robot with Explorer HAT
- T200 Raspberry Pi Tank Robot with 3D printed extras
- Raspberry Pi Robot Arm software
These are maker projects. Many involve multiple aspects including electronics, programming and 3D design or construction of an enclosure.
- Raspberry Pi Pico projects
- Raspberry Pi Pico W (Wireless) projects
- Raspberry Pi Pico LED Reaction Game
- Raspberry Pi PixelStrip / NeoPixel electronic circuit for level shifter to control WS281x LEDs
- Raspberry Pi Pico Arcade Button Quiz Game
- Raspberry Pi Outdoor display with RGB LED Matrix and NeoPixel Handrail
- Hack an infrared light bulb with a Raspberry Pi
- Wearable Snowman badge, with a Raspberry Pi
- Pygame Zero for makers – graphical interface for GPIO Zero
Model Railway Projects
These projects are about creating items for model railways. These are based around either an outdoor G-Scale railway or an indoor OO and OO-9 railway. This includes track building (engineering), track electronics and automation, hardware, and programming of the various aspects.
- Building a G-Scale garden model railway
- Model railway automation with Raspberry Pi and Arduino
- Model railway Christmas House
- 3D campsite models for a model railway
- G-Scale traffic lights for an outdoor model railway.
- Automated lineside signal lights for a model railway.
- Model railway station departure board with Raspberry Pi Pico
- Model railway automated departure sign with Raspberry Pi.
- Wireless model railway house lighting with ESP32 microcontroller
3D models and 2D designs using Blender, TinkerCAD, FreeCAD and other CAD tools
These are projects based around creating 3D models and 2D animations using design tools such as Blender (3D and 2D designs), TinkerCAD (beginners 3D models) and FreeCAD (advanced CAD design for enclosures etc.).
Includes suggestions for creating 3D models for game sprites or 3D printing.
- Tutorials for using 3D design and CAD tools for 3D printing
- Beginners Tutorial to creating 2D animations in blender 2.8 / 2.9 with guide to image transparency
- 3D campsite models for a model railway
- 3D model campsite for OO railway (with Video tutorial)
- 3D printed scout campsite with Arduino campfire (G-scale model railway)
- G-Scale traffic lights designed in FreeCAD.
Programming, including game programming for the Raspberry Pi
Projects which are primarily based around software programming. These are mainly games programming projects creating Raspberry Pi games in Pygame Zero, but also includes other programming projects.
- Beginners Tutorial for Pygame Zero Game programming
- Setup the Picade with RetroPie and add your own games
- Games and ROMs for the classic game emulators using RetroPie and Picade
- Pygame Zero Videos and Tutorials
- Compass Game for Raspberry Pi Picade
- Memory Card Game for Raspberry Pi, featuring the UK Lake District
- Space Asteroids worksheets
- Raspberry Pi Pico Tank Game
- Raspberry Pi Pico Space Game
For more details see PenguinTutor projects page