It’s always been possible to customise Firefox using themes, but themes were hard to implement and used for changing the look of the icons rather than the banner picture that Personas provides.
As you can see in the above screenshot Personas changes the feel of the browser by introducing a header picture to go behind the navigation buttons and a footer across the bottom.
The one that I’ve created is based on the First Aid Quiz web site theme. It’s not going to win any design awards and there are loads of Personas much better than this one, but it goes to show how one can be created quickly and easily by someone without any particular artistic capability. In fact it has taken about as long to create this post as it did to create that Personas.
To create a new Persona just involves creating a couple of images and choosing an appropriate text colour. This was designed using only The Gimp photo editing software running on a Linux EeePC netbook in about 20 minutes.
Instructions on how to create a new custom Persona are provided here.
This is one more feature that Firefox has over other browsers and perhaps may help them to reach their prediction of being the Majority browser by 2013.
My attempt may not be the greatest out there, but it does show how easy it is to make a personal looking browser. If you create your own please leave a comment to my blog with details of your personas.
- If you are still using a default browser then get Firefox for Windows, Mac or Linux here
- Once you’ve installed Firefox get Personas here
- View the existing personas and find a favourite here
- Create your own using the instructions for creating a Persona here.
- Enjoy your browsing experience
First Aid Quiz Personas
- Simultaneous file downloads with firefox (for WordPress users)
- Firefox add-ons / plug-ins
- Linux format response to – In defence of the Firefox web browser
- In defence of the Firefox web browser from Mozilla
- Adding a Search Engine to the Mozilla Firefox Searchbar (MozSearch Plugin)
- 20% are using Firefox
- Free software for Windows
- Firefox even faster